Welcome to a writing project 13 years in the making.

Believe it.  I've been writing this book for 13 years.  I started when I was very young and haven't been able to put it all down.  So here is my effort to get it out of my head and on to paper, well sorta.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Chapter Three

"Orphan!"  "No Name!" "Stupid Girl!"

Taunts thrown across the road to the hunched over girl, no older then seventeen, seemed to wash over her as if it were a wave.  Her long brown hair, the only visible feature of her face, swung at each hurtful word. It was as if each word punctured her side.  The cloak she wore made every movement under it invisible.

The boys, almost men, found their way closer to her.  Unknowingly feeding the fire.  Chants erupted from their play and rocks found their hands ample slingshots.  The first rock was thrown poorly and missed the girl.  It was when the second rock flew that brought one of the men to their knees.  The meek wounded animal they had been taunting finally sprung.

With knife to the throat of the largest of the boys and best aim was now on his back.  The long brown hair covered his face as the girl crouched on his chest.  It hadn't been hard to jump the three feet from where she was standing to on top his shoulders.  Easy.  The hard part was keeping from looking amazed.

"My name is Eliza."

With that she quickly jumped off his chest, returned the blade to her side and proceeded to walk down the road.  She quietly laughed as she heard them run on their way.  The delightful memory of womanly cries from the men around their goon made Eliza pick her head up only slightly.  It had been a good lesson.

"I wish I could celebrate with you my dear." A tall slender man, white hair and cane appeared out of the woods slowly as if he were a ghost.  Eliza's good mood vanished "I'll say one word, Blindsides.  Think about it."  As the elderly man made his way in front of Eliza they walked in unison.

"I'm not cutting my hair." Eliza finally said in protest to the critique "It's the last feminine thing I have on me for crying out loud!"

Jade laughed softly.  "True, perhaps I should dress you up on petticoats and rubies?  I'll just give the King a quick ring and have him send his best carriage to pick us up then, shall I?"

"Yes, brilliant.  Let's have some fun with the King's men before you make me cook you something awful at home."  Eliza smiled "Would you like fish tonight?"

Faster than any elderly gentleman should, Jade spun around thrust his cane toward Eliza. "Ha!  You'd like to see me the color green, now wouldn't you?!"

With that a quick sparing began.  Starting with Eliza deflecting Jade's cane.  First to the left then right.  Eliza smiled at her achievement and saw Jade's eyes sparkle as her feet were swept out from under her.  Jade had many tricks up his sleeve still to teach her and it was going to take time before she truly enjoyed it.  After offering a hand Eliza was on her feet and sighed.  The two began walking again.

"What shall we have for dinner?" Eliza sighed again.

As if by design, a large cart rolled by with what looked like squash.  The companions looked at each other and smiled.  At least tonight they'd be getting something other than rodent, albeit boring vegetables, they'd take it.

Eliza was off to fetch food from the cart and Jade softly found his way back into the forest.  This was like most nights.  Eliza would steal some tidbit from a cart or kill a small animal then would have to find a suitable place to cook it and eat it, all while having to keep an eye out for Jade's ambush.  It was fun, for both of them.  Little did they know that when sleep took Eliza, something worse would take Jade.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom. Canadian living in America, who just happens to be smitten with Japanese history. Please, enjoy!