Welcome to a writing project 13 years in the making.

Believe it.  I've been writing this book for 13 years.  I started when I was very young and haven't been able to put it all down.  So here is my effort to get it out of my head and on to paper, well sorta.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Chapter One

Our story starts with the decaying remains of an empire ruthlessly raped of it's purpose.  A family name failing it's ancestors and uprooting the very foundation on which it stands.  Greedy and childish, a ruler who seeks praise for his unworthy acts and his son who was the beacon of hope for the future.  With no one but themselves to accuse as courtiers fled, were banished or killed in the name of King Robert.  With crumbling towers as their home and an old and tired army as their protectors the country awaits their dissapearance from history.

With such failings and strife notwithstanding the sun stubbornly rises each day.  With it's arrival the country estate began to stir.  Only a handful of people wandered the grounds insearch of food for their guests.  Horses were awoken and exercised, the gardens were attended to and mundane tasks of the housemaids proceeded unasked of the master.  The kitchen staff work with what little they have to prepar breakfast for the sleeping Prince and his lover Sara.  

The cool breeze which had danced through trees and over streams under the stars found it's way through an open window and woke the woman who lay next to the Prince.  It had been a warm night and had not suspected the cold snap that awoke her.  Startled she rose slightly only to return to her prior position under her lover's arms.  Sara reveled in the warmth and strength of her Prince's arms.  They had seen battles and death.   His hands had been dyed with blood on many occasions yet they cradled her gently as if she were a dove.  

With her movement Prince Paul awoke slightly and took a deep breath of the woman beside him.  With his eyes only catching a glimps of her hair he could picture her whole face.  Skin pale and ghost like were the anchor to her blue eyes.  It was her shimery blond hair that had caught his attension when he first saw her.  Wrapped in a torn cloak, selling roses to passers by.  Paul hadn't noticed much other then her sweet voice singing the praise of her blooms.  With his arrival from wars in the east the sight of her took all the hatred he brought with him.  Acending from his horse to take a closer forbidden look Sara seemed to call to him with more then words and vision.  There was something in both their futures.  He knew she would play a part in his life.  With a kiss on her hand Paul could only quickly ask her name before he was pulled away by his father's voice.

A knock at the door woke Prince Paul.  He begrudingly turned over and called to the knocker.  "Come, what is it?" he asked through garbled words and rustled covers.  

"Your Father approaches, your majesty."

Suddenly Paul was on his feet quickly dressing.  Sara dashed from the bed and to Paul's side.  "Perhaps it is not him.  Perhaps it's only his men."  The disturber entered and proceeded to help his leage dress.  "Perhaps he is too busy to notice your absence.  Perhaps we could still sit together before you must leave."  Paul seemed to not hear.  "Please, I beg of you."  Sara said calmly "I beg you not to leave.  I know you will not return to me.  I know it, I've seen it." With no answer still Sara angrily banished the servant from the room and was left alone with the aggitated Prince. "I know you will not live to see me again.  I've seen it.  My mother came to me." 

Paul rolled his eyes and tried not to lose his temper.  "Your mother is dead.  We have been through this.  She is not with us.  When will you stop with this foolishness?"

Sara lunged at Paul and flailed angrily.  With both her wrists taken captive to Paul's hands she screamed at him.  Spitting slurs at him and casting curses as a witch would she was thrown to the ground.  "We have been through this.  I am a Prince.  If you hold your tongue and behave just a bit longer then we will be married.  What else can I do to show you I love you?"

Sara anger erupted tears and trembles.  "If you leave you will die."

"I will not!" Paul's voice trembled the room.

Silence took over the room only for a moment.  "Kill your father.  If you do that you will be King.  I will not have to hide here anymore and perhaps this hell your people live in will subside."

"No."  Was the only response to Sara's plea.  "I will try to write, but promise nothing.  I love you and will be back for you soon."  Paul tenderly kissed the top of Sara's head and slowly walked out of the bedroom.  When the door was finally closed he heard great sobbing and accusations of his lies.  He walked away.  It was all Paul could do to stop his heart from breaking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom. Canadian living in America, who just happens to be smitten with Japanese history. Please, enjoy!